(517) 437-4646

Gold Star Tax Services

Every year we seem to get the same question asked many times. What do I need to bring in to get my taxes prepared? It seems like a simple answer, however as with almost any questions relating to taxes the answer usually is "IT DEPENDS". It depends on how complex your situation may be.

Lets start out with the basics. W2's and 1099's are a must. Make sure you have them all before you see your tax office. You are supposed to have them in your hand by January 31st.

Employment & Income (please bring in all income earned from entire household, including dependents)

  • W-2 forms for the year
  • Unemployment Compensation (1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous Income including rent (1099-MISC)
  • Retirement Income (1099-R)
  • Social Security (1099-SSA)
  • State & Local Income Tax Refunds (1099-G)
  • Child Support Received
  • State Assistance Received (FIA) (DHS)
  • VA Benefits

Homeowner & Renter

  • Mortgage Interest (1098)
  • Property Tax Statements (Winter '18, Winter '19 and Summer '19) Bring all 3
  • Rent Paid During Tax Year (Landlords name and address)
  • Heating Cost of Home for the Year
  • Sale of Your Home or Other Real Estate (1099-S)
  • Second Mortgage/Line of Credit Interest Paid

Financial Assets

  • Interest Income Statement (1099-INT)
  • Dividend Income Statements (1099-DIV)
  • Health Savings Account Statement -HSA ( 1099-SA)
  • Proceeds from Broker Transactions (1099-8)


  • Gifts to Charity (must have receipts)
  • Child Care Expenses (Bring Day Care's Tax ID number and address)
  • Student Loan Interest Paid (1098-E)
  • PlateNehicle Registration
  • Medical


  • Business Income (Form 1099-MISC) and/or own records
  • Business-Related Expenses: Own records Showing Totals of Each Category of Deduction*
  • Farm-Related Expenses: Own records Showing Totals of Each Category of Deduction*
  • Rental-Related Expenses: Own records Showing Totals of Each Category of Deduction*
  • Business Mileage
  • Automobile Interest paid if for business
  • Schedule K-1's

*templates available here

Health Care

  • 1095-A: if you had MarketPlace insurance

Miscellaneous Tax Documents

  • Estimates Paid for Current Year
  • IRA Contributions
  • Tuition paid at University or College for Self or Child (1098-T)
  • Billing transcripts from the college for entire year


If you are still not sure of what to bring in to your tax office then I would recommend to bring it all. I always tell my clients that it is better to bring in to much information than not enough.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Sign up for our